Online selling platform eBay has banned specific single-use plastic items and is urging sellers to review their inventory.
The change to eBay’s policy follows new laws implemented in Scotland on 1st June 2022 banning single-use plastic items.
It is now an offence to sell the following products on eBay:
- Plastic cutlery (forks, knives, spoons, chopsticks), plastic plates, plastic straws, plastic stirrers, and plastic balloon sticks.
- Food containers and boxes made of expanded polystyrene.
- Drinking cups and other beverage containers made of expanded polystyrene, including covers and lids.
eBay has urged sellers to comply with this new legislation by reviewing their inventory and by removing non-compliant listings.
Inn Supplies offers eco-friendlier alternatives to every range in its catalogue.
We invite eBay sellers revising their inventory as well as customers to consider the following alternatives following eBay’s new policy.
Plastic cutlery alternatives
- Wooden cutlery (made of renewable and sustainably sourced materials, fully recyclable, and biodegradable)
- CPLA cutlery (made of PLA, a sustainable, renewable, plant-based materials)
- Bagasse containers (made from 100% sugarcane fibre, compostable, and biodegradable)
- PLA containers (made of PLA, compostable, and biodegradable)