Data compiled by CGA’s Hospitality at Home Tracker shows a surge of delivery and takeaway sales from third party apps.
Delivery platforms such as Deliveroo and Uber Eats accounted for nearly half (49.7%) of restaurant and pub groups’ sales, while eat-in contributed to the remainder (50.3%).
Overall, delivery and takeaway sales were 273% higher in May this year versus May 2019, despite the return of eating indoors in the second half of the month.
Karl Chessell, CGA’s business unit director, said: “While many consumers seized the chance to eat out again, hospitality’s reopening for inside service isn’t diminishing the appeal of deliveries and takeaways.
“With the quality and convenience of at-home ordering rising, the lockdowns of the last 15 months have firmly embedded it in people’s habits. It will be fascinating to see where the balance of eating-out and ordering-in settles as COVID-19 restrictions loosen.”
We’ve stocked a range of plastic food containers in various sizes for many years – these convenient contains have a tight push fit lid and can be used with a huge range of different foods. These are made from heavy duty PP (Polypropylene).
New in this week is a biodegradable version of these containers, instead made from completely biodegradable PLA (Polylactic Acid) – a cornstarch based product. These will break down naturally unlike traditional plastics.
Biodegradability had become something of a hot topic over the past 2 years with more and more customers either wanting to switch to biodegradable items, or needing to use them as part of a council / company mandate. Most of our range has a biodegradable alternative available as part of our push to be an environmentally conscious supplier of disposable products. We can also advise on the most carbon neutral way to use / dispose of our items, be it composting or recycling.
We’ve launched this new PLA Biodegradable container range in most popular sizes to cover the majority of normal uses, be it salads, sides, curry or simply food storage. The following sizes are available:
Please note that these have a very slightly different rim diameter to the non-biodegradable version of the containers, as such you must ensure you purchase the correct biodegradable PLA lid to match the containers.